February 29, 2012

The Chillin' With My Shroomies - Dress

So, this one day my mom took down her red curtains and said, "put these in the bin for me, would you?"

And you know what I said? I don't remember exactly, but I'm sure it was somehow related to this: "o_0 Whaaaaat!?!" Because I've seen "Enchanted"! I know what curtains are REALLY for! And it's not the litter bin. It's this:



This was my second dress and my second Danielle #9306. It started out as a relatively boring dress. The shrooms were there and so was the half-arsed sweetheart neckline. But it was too long and too dull to wear. Last October I finally became inreasingly frustrated with this unfinished project, so took a pair of scissors and cut a big keyhole into the back of my dress. This was enormously exciting, because I did not have the foggiest idea what I was doing. Then I drafted a facing for the hole and cut into the last of my shroom fabric. And only then did I realise that I'd made a mistake while drafting/cutting and what I had left of the shroom fabric wasn't quite enough to fix it. I had cut enough facing to take care of the keyhole, but there wasn't any left for the part where I was planning on placing the buttons (which I'd already covered with the last two scraps of my mushroom fabric, yay). However, in the end this was of little consequence because the curtain fabric was easily thick enough to hold the buttons.





After this I shortened the dress and machine-hemmed it, taking forever to choose the right yarn and ending up choosing the completely wrong one. But I was too lazy to unpick the hem and do it over, so I did what I always do when in doubt: I added crochet lace!!



Then I lured my best friend out into the bloody cold February air under the pretense of 'a walk' and had her take about 20 pictures of me in the pouring rain. I have the best of friends!



So this is what became of my mother's curtains! A dress that's fantastic for pretending to be Alice in Wonderland on her way down the rabbit hole:

8 comments:

  1. Wunderbar ... richtig wunderbar !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this dress. And really appreciate the close up shot of the crochet edging. Didn't see that detail on Burdastyle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment and for dropping by! And I love, love, love crochet edging. I keep wanting to add it to everything I sew (well, at least every dress), but one can have too much of a good thing I guess. :)

      Delete
  3. Some motivation for after the thesis and stuff. ;)
    http://aquamareencrafting.blogspot.de/2012/04/liebster-blog.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I didn't even know you had a blog!! Very pretty! And haha, thank you so much for the rec! xxxx

      Delete
  4. Hi Kerstika, Love, love your dresses! I too am a beginning self taught sewer(is that the right word?) Anyway, I love how you altered the second dress. I have not taken on sewing any clothing yet but after seeing yours I just may have to.

    I hope you continue to post your projects because I would be interested in them. Found you via Burdastyle.

    I'll be back soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy, thank you very much for your sweet comment. (I'm sure 'sewer' is a perfectly legit word for it, although it always makes me think of this: http://redstick.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/sewer_1280.jpg :)) Dresses for me were a good place to start, because there are so many fairly easy patterns out there and once you get a hang of what goes where, it is so rewarding to end up with an entire outfit! And I found Danielle to be a very good pattern for a beginner- straight seams, easy adjustments, so many possibilities...

      I will absolutely go back to posting my projects, promise! However, at the moment this blog has had to be put on hold because I'm writing my MA thesis and there's just no space in my head for blogging. :) Soon, though, soon!

      Also, I very much like the look of your blog! I'm a huge Waterhouse fan :)

      xx

      Delete